Monday 27 August 2012

Classroom Murals, no2

So, after painting murals of the "Hungry Caterpiller" and "The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me" in one of the classrooms last year, I have been asked to paint another one!! This time, I had two themes to chose from; Disney's The Jungle Book or Winnie the Pooh (Disney style). The brief was to decorate the empty space(s) in the classroom with something in particular that could be used as an alphabet line for the reception children to learn from.

I felt that of the two options, Winnie the Pooh would be the friendlier, lighter option; The Jungle Book  is visually quite dark and jungle-ly with some quite scary characters that might be intimidating for 4 and 5 year olds (I remember being quite scared by it myself!). An Infant school classroom needs to be bright, cheerful and friendly so Pooh it was!

I had quite an unsual space to fill; long and quite thin across the top of the display boards and the door so I looked at some of the stories for inspiration. I went through a lot of ideas for the alphabet line; butterflies, honey pots, bunting, leaves and dandilion seeds but I settled on the story of Winnie the Pooh and the Bees, where each bee will (eventually) be holding a letter.

Here's the results:

 Over the cupboard doors:



I want to do a Tigger in the last empty space in the room at a future date but for now, I just hope the new intake like their classroom come September!

If only I could do this sort of thing everyday... It would be a dream!


No comments:

Post a Comment